You are currently viewing our Archived Site. Visit http://www.uonbi.ac.ke to view our updated content
A world-class university committed to scholarly excellence
- Post Graduate Studies
- Biotechnology & Bioinformatics
- Open & Distance Learning
- Faculty Of Agriculture
- Faculty Of Arts
- Faculty Of Veterinary Medicine
- Development Studies
- Institute Of African Studies
- Diplomacy & International Studies
- Nuclear Science & Technology
- Tropical & Infectious Diseases
- Kenya Science Campus
- Population Studies & Research
- School Of Law
- School Of Medicine
- School Of Biological Sciences
- School Of Business
- School Of Computing & Informatics
- Continuing & Distance Education
- School Of Dental Sciences
- School Of Economics
- School Of Education
- School Of Engineering
- School Of Journalism
- School Of Mathematics
- School Of Nursing Sciences
- School Of Pharmacy
- School Of Physical Sciences
- School Of The Arts & Design
- School Of The Built Environment
Message from the Dean
The School of Dental Sciences was initially established as a Department (the Department of Dental Surgery) within the Faculty of Medicine in 1974. The Department was later upgraded into a Faculty in 1995 and in that phase of development, four departments were established. In 2005, the faculty underwent further changes to become a School.
The School faces challenges on a day to day basis. These challenges are constantly being addressed and overcome by exploiting the School's strengths and opportunities available in its immediate environment, at national and regional level. Among the strengths include its strategic location in the capital city Nairobi, well established and consistent academic programmes which are recognized internationally, a diverse base of highly qualified and competent academic staff, potential for income generation and well established community outreach programmes. Great opportunities are provided by a large student catchment area in East and Central African region, goodwill from communities and support from dental industry, increased awareness and demand for dental training, oral health care provision and consultancy services.
The university management has started major rehabilitation of the dental school which includes modernization of the clinics and the laboratories. A modern income generating facility has been set up known as the "Dental Plaza". This modern dental clinic is there to provide services to members of the public who wish to be treated privately.
The School is involved in high standard research which we believe improves teaching, training and provision of quality care to the patients. Every year in mid April, the School sets aside a whole day where presentations of research activities taking place in the School are done. The "Research Day" as it is known is open to all who are interested. It is an interactive day where students and academic members of staff learn from each other.
The School has a very active Continuing Professional Development Program open to all members of the Dental fraternity. These activities include lectures, skills development through hands-on courses, seminars and journal clubs. The School successfully held the following activities:
1) An advance course on the management of maxillofacial trauma sponsored by the International Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons Foundation
2) Implantology course organized by the Department of Conservative & Prosthetic Dentistry and the Department of Periodontology/Community & Preventive Dentistry.
3) Training of Public Health Officers in the recognition of HIV presentation in the oral tissues.
The School has also established external links and collaborations on academic and research activities with Nagasaki University in Japan and The Milano-Bicocca University in Italy.
The School shall at all times treasure and uphold core values which will include development and maintenance of ethical and professional behavior, values of truth, integrity, honesty, tolerance and accountability, treating all with respect, equity and dignity, promotion of sensitivity and responsiveness to social needs as well as meritocracy and team work in research and practice.
Wagaiyu Evelyn Gaceri
View Wagaiyu Evelyn Gaceri Profile
- History Of The School
- Vision, Mission And Core Values
- Mandate Of The School
- Contribution Of The School
- Collaboration And Links
P. O. Box 19676 - 00200NAIROBI
KENYATTA NATIONAL HOSPITAL
Tel: 2726300 Ext. 43673
Message From the Dean
Read message from the Dean >>